(urth) Mystery of Agia

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Jan 20 11:59:24 PST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 9:59 AM, António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Son of Witz wrote (20-01-2011 17:33):
>> Sev calls the assasin He or Him about 20 times in that passage. I think
>> it's clear that he's not mistaking him. He was very attracted to Agia, so
>> of course he would recognize her. He also didn't call him an old man, but
>> Valeria is clearly a crone, yet he recognizes his old lover.
>
> But the assassin can, and indeed should, be disguised, and asian people tend to lesser sexual dimorphism. I think Lee's idea here is genuinely good. Of course, that doesn't close the matter of Agia's purpose(s), nor does it preclude your spirit scars interpretation at all.
>
> I also think Jeff and Ryan raise good points. The more matters such as these are discussed, the better our understanding of the work.

Agreed.
Sure, I suppose I can swallow the asian androgeny bit. Severian describes her eyes as "strangely tilted" and her nose as upturned.  I think this is more or less safe to say she is asian or Ascian. The tilt would seem strange to him because they seem novel.
I do think it is a great idea, one that doesn't trample over many other readings. I won't say that it is necessaryily true, but this reading doesn't seem to contradict, merely to add, so I think it is safe either way.  The connection via poison blades is a lot to reat it on though, if one is to claim "certainty," (which I don't think anyone is yet.)

I don't think Agia could be the missing poppet because he HAS Agia at the point he babbles that. (not that she is with him in the scene)

I've felt all along that she was in deep cover. I guess the Ascian Eyes suggest she is an Ascien spy.  But I think she is onto him early for more than the stated reasons. Agilus's bands remaining after the mask is removed is a clear indicator that he is still playing false, still wearing another 'mask'. If they are Ascien spies then the ploughman mystery of the bands is half answered.  It is more plausible than the view that they are associated with the circle of sorcerers, as I think Borski guessed.