(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Jan 20 09:54:42 PST 2011

On Jan 20, 2011, at 8:42 AM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> (note to Witz: I am addressing Gerry here because Marc requested three times in his last post that the
> discussion be dropped. He is not trying to understand Marc's theory other than finding the best
> way to discredit it. He is like a prosecuting attorney badgering a witness in hopes of getting
> an admission of wrongness or a retraction. I don't think he is doing it with malicious intent. That's
> just the way Gerry is.
>
> It matters to me because I think Marc has great ideas and perceptions that I could never come up with myself.
> I think he has stopped contributing in the past because of relentless criticism of his ideas and I would
> not like to see that happen again. I know I can't control other people's actions but I am making the best
> attempt I can to make Urth Archives a hospitable and welcoming place for creative thinkers like Marc.
> That is my goal.)

It seems I've inadvertantly become nominated as List-Cop because I stuck my neck out in the hope of curtailing the sniping.  Snipe away for all I really care.  I'm going to try to stay out of it.

Gerry and Roy play gate-keepers here, clearly.  That is well and good.  Marc and you seem to feel thwarted by them. There will never be a point where these issues are decided once and for all.  I don't know if you were around when my Sev/Christ ideas were getting hammered on here a year or so ago.  It's hard to have no one agree, but at a point, they (and you and me) are just some geeks on the internet arguing over a book where we all know the M.O. is obfuscation and deliberate confusion with possibly no definitive answers  I don't much care if anyone here agrees with me that Severian is a fictional avatar of the Logos necessary for that particular fictional world. It works for me, and it helps that I'm not alone, but I say, "Fuck it if you can't convince them".  I just see you and Marc getting very frustrated in another irreconcilable perspective to the point where you are SHOUTING.  I spoke up because I want to point out that you guys seem to be taking it very personally, and I don't think bruising your egos is anybody's intent.  You guys have great far fetched takes.  Some of those limbs are bound to break when we try to follow you out on them.

So all I'm saying is (please) CHILL and realize Gerry and Roys dismissals do not carry any canonical authority.
~witz