(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Tue Jan 11 17:27:15 PST 2011

On 11/01/11 15:35, Marc Aramini wrote:
> Wolfe will not elaborate on it, probably with anyone now, but when I say the rules it is clear the TEXT sets the rules for astral travel, and I did not have a way to reconcile the passage of time since Rogoglio had been there with the time they arrived on Urth, but I knew time was involved.  (ie - it was later than he left, but way way way earlier than the present of the text).

I think I see what you are driving at Marc, forgive if I get this wrong.

To me there's no problem with Silk/Horn et al astral travelling to
Severian's Urth - it is probably their 'present time'. The Whorl has
been around 300 subjective (to the inhabitants) years in transit; but
for at least a part of that time it has been moving at relativistic
velocities and would therefore have been subject to time dilatation.
It's entirely feasible that an interval which seems to the denizens of
the Whorl to have been 300 or so years might in fact have been 1000+
years (ie. approximately the interval between Typhon's reign on Urth and
Severian's time) in 'reality', 'absolute time' or whatever one cares to
call it: time as it progressed outwith the Whorl. Therefore it's
entirely possible that Rigoglio's and Silk/Horn's party have travelled
astrally to the Urth of Severian's youth which is happening at the same
time as Silk/Horn's odyssey on Blue and Green.

jd