(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Tue Jan 11 12:07:35 PST 2011

Marc Aramini wrote:
>Well, Lune is a problem.  There are two or three things that keep coming
back to haunt me.  One is Apheta peering down from Lune, the other is its
change to verdancy and Rudesind's claim that it is closer (or bigger?).

--- On Tue, 1/11/11, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Then there's this: "I'd like to show you Green," Jahlee
> explained to him. "it's the whorl on which I was born
> and on which I grew up, just as your father was born and
> grew up on that little white one he tries to point out to
> you sometimes." (IGJ 339) This shows us the whorl is
> white and visible in the sky.

>But can an asteroid ever be a satellite?  I don't know, then we have to go
against the definition that the whorl is a hollowed out asteroid if they are
actually significantly different, the kind of semantic arguments I DON'T
like, (tusks and horns being another - taxonomy is blurry in fiction
sometimes, but not always.)  Then we have to ask, where does the glossary of
Long Sun come from?  Is it from the fallible horn or the infallible Wolfe?
ugh. <
***********

Are you trying to insinuate that the _Whorl_ is a satellite of Blue? That it
is somehow Lune? Very doubtful. As seen in the night sky of Blue, it is a
barely visible point of light:
_____

    "Night had come already to the eastern sky, scattering the short suns
of other whorls across its black velvet. Soon Green would rise, almost
a second sun, yet baleful as a curse; it had brought a succession of
storms and monstrous tides--
   " There!
   " Horn watched and waited until he was sure the faint gleam was
actually moving against its glittering backdrop. Within that point of
light he had been born, and had grown almost to manhood. Within
that point of light Sinew had been conceived, in all probability, in
the Calde's Palace. It did not seem possible.
    "Almost too quickly to be noticed, something dark flitted between
Horn and the whorl that had been his; and he shuddered." (EXODUS, 383-84)
_____

Trying to add a third whorl to the Blue-Green mix just makes the problem
worse.

-Roy