(urth) interview questions

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Jan 7 10:56:28 PST 2011

From: "David Stockhoff" <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
> On 1/7/2011 11:31 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

>> Of course, in 5HoC, Wolfe has Marsch refer to the paleolithic pygmies
>> known as the 'Good People' who, he says, are known to have survived in
>> Ireland and Scandinavia until the end of the Eighteenth Century.

> Since you are Irish, I bow to your knowledge of your native land. But I'd
> love to see a link or two. I eat that stuff up, true or not.

Unfortunately I don't have access to all the anthropological texts available
to Dr. Marsch, especially those with a publication date later than the
beginning of the twenty first century.  I suspect it is in those more modern
texts that this information is documented.

>> It's a theme he has used a lot.
>> Here, Marsch is trying to explain the absence of abo fossils.  By my
>> reading it is a wrong hypothesis.  Those who think the human/humanoid
>> abos have lived on Sainte Anne for millenia could use it as support
>> against the fossil argument.  If the humanoid abos are new, no
>> explanation is needed for the absence of fossils.

> I am not sure exactly what hypothesis you mean, but surely abos would have
> to have been on St Anne quite a ways back to produce fossils. Human time
> on Earth is measured in hundreds if not tens of chiliads, and as I
> understand it we have more fossils of human precursors than actual humans
> (as opposed to bones). Old wave or new, an Earth origin for
> primate-evolved abos (post-Gondwanaland, as someone noted) would explain
> the absence of fossils; it need not be a new origin.
>
> Geologically speaking, fossilization may not take long, but there are
> other factors. A longer record means more fossils might be present, but
> they may only be exposed if they are old enough for mountains to shift and
> expose them. Younger fossils might still be deeply buried.

I said fossils, but the words Marsch used were "[the native Annese] who have
left almost no physical traces (as far as anyone knows) and some highly
embroidered legends."

Of course past humans have left an amplitude of physical traces on Earth.

[Naturally mummified corpses occur too, though of course these are not
petrified like true fossils.]

- Gerry Quinn