(urth) Dan'l! (was: Re: It's getting hard...)

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 7 10:49:19 PST 2011

> When you say 'bounce ideas' do you just mean post ideas, no matter how wacky

>Ryan Dunn: So if a passage about Agia hitting her head on the floor and it sounding like a hammer
tapping stone...

Hah! Excellent riff on the "bounce" metaphor Ryan!

> Gerry Quinn:  That doesn't mean that there are not good ideas, questionable ideas, and ideas that are totally out
>to lunch.  Don't we care which are which?

>Son O' Witz: I certainly agree with that.

Not me. Gerry used the example of an apparently insane theory which involved Daleks to make his point. The thing is,
nobody here (currently) does anything like that. As an example, Ryan's observation regarding Agia's head comes straight
from the text. Robots are found in the text. Ryan connects them in a way that makes sense to him. If it doesn't make
sense to you, what does that prove? That Ryan is stupid or insane? That we need to take a vote?

As Jane says, this is fiction! It is not possible for there to be a "right" answer. There is no objective reality
to measure. Ideas are not found in dots on a page or screen. Ideas are not floating around in the aether either. They
ONLY to be found as neural patterns in each human being's brain. And as long as one intelligent, sane person has a certain
idea, that idea has validity.

It could be argued that Gerry's dismissal of a theory is itself a theory. And that his theory has validity. And it does!
But, by Gerry's own philosophy, all theories need to be challenged. Judge not, lest ye be judged?

The truth is we waste time challenging only the theories that bother us. Neglected is the self-analysis- "why does this
bother me?" Some interesting truths will emerge if we answer this question honestly (answer only to ourselves, please-
we don't need any Dr. Phil confessional crap in here ;- ) )