(urth) Another (Possibly Weak) Theory

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 15:37:35 PST 2011

DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:

> Would this explain the green eyes? That is, to the extent that these people
> also evolved from primates on Earth as we did, they are human, but they are
> physically marked as another race?

That makes sense to me.

I personally accept the recent-lost-colony origin hypothesis, but I can see
> how the ancient-lost-colony hypothesis fits some of Wolfe's favorite themes,
> including the near-repetition of events over cosmic stretches of time. And
> the Shee (if I may call them that), if they survived on Earth (as they must
> have done to be real at all, because otherwise humans would not know them),
> were very interested in hiding themselves from men, using magic to do so.
> Their descendants might well have psychic star-shields.

If you want to call them the Sidhe, I have no problem with that. And I
hadn't thought about the connection to the psychic shield -- that adds some
weight.

> Is there a way in which the recent-origin hypothesis can be reconciled with
> the ancient-origin hypothesis? Can both be true?

Sure: the Abos are the Sidhe, the Shadow-Children are the recent-origin
ex-humans. Or vice versa.

> The Shee were not exactly tool-users to begin with, even on Earth. Of
> course, if we are expected to know that, then the links to them may simply
> be by analogy.

H'mmmm. And the non-use of tools fits in with the Sidhe's aversion to "cold
iron."

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes