(urth) interview questions

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 22:30:28 PST 2011

From: Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>

>>Jerry Friedman: And yet, as I said, he wrote "Under Hill", where the gun
>>specifically isn't
>>
>>fired.  I wonder whether he was thinking about the Chekhov quotation.
>
>You'll have to help me out with these. I am unfamiliar.

You're familiar with the Chekhov quotation, just not with its authorship.

"From this period comes an observation of Chekhov's which has become known as
"Chekhov's gun",  noted by Ilia Gurliand from a conversation: 'If in Act I you
have a  pistol hanging on the wall, then it must fire in the last act.'"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anton_Chekhov

Did you mean you weren't familiar with "Under Hill" either?  It's in Innocents
Aboard, and it's not my favorite.  If you haven't read it and want to, it's at

http://books.google.com/books?id=5Qkl_NxvC4gC&pg=PA68#v=onepage&q&f=false

David Stockhoff is right to point out that the weapon doesn't appear till late
in the story, so it's not like "Act I".

>>There's no accounting for taste.   A conclusion that SOME people had been
>>replaced would satisfy me
>>
>>just fine.

>This I agree with. That conclusion doesn't suit me and I manipulate my
>interpretation of the story
>accordingly. My only plea would be that more people admit their own prejudices
>in interpretation
>of the stories and avoid wrapping one's self in a cloak of certitude based on
>"evidence", each piece of
>which is subject to individual interpretation.

I don't think we have to have prejudices on every point.  Any resolution of
Veil's Hypothesis would suit me equally well, so I can base my interpretation on
my understanding of the evidence.  (On the other hand, if anyone here reads
Language Log, they know I don't always work that way.)

Jerry Friedman