(urth) Home Fires and Chelle ** SPOILERS **

Dave Tallman davetallman at msn.com
Tue Jan 25 18:01:52 PST 2011

Mr. Thalassocrat wrote:

> I had the same kinds of question. Plus one other: Why was Rick so
> determined

to kill Chelle?

My theory is revenge. Rick may have been uploaded with a scan of Master
Sergeant Mort Pununto, the spy Chelle killed. He was the best noncom she
ever had. A good officer (promoted from the ranks) and an talented spy would
be valuable skills for a cyborg to possess, whether he spied for the EU or
the Os. When Mort was caught as a spy Chelle was the only member of the
firing squad to aim to hit him, so she was directly responsible for his
death. I see little other reason for Wolfe to have included this otherwise
completely extraneous story in detail.