(urth) Mystery of Ascia/Agia

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jan 21 08:35:35 PST 2011

On 1/21/2011 9:03 AM, Son of Witz wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2011, at 11:35 PM, Jeff Wilson<jwilson at io.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 1/20/2011 7:33 PM, Son of Witz wrote:
>>
>>> Why would Wolfe, who does A
>>> LOT of intentional linking of phonetically similar names, use the word
>>> Ascian for what are essentially a communist metaphor?
>>
>> I think you and Lee may have caught a red herring here; Mantiss gives the pronunciation of Ascia as uh-SKI-ah, while Asia is AY-zha. This is from the post-Lexicon GURPS NEW SUN book, so while it is not received wisdom, it at least has been voiced thusly in the author's presence and recorded as not meeting objection.
>

> Sure. Maybe.
> I am aware of the pronunciation of Ascia in the Lexicon.
> I love the Lexicon, but there are things that clearly are wrong.
> Take the map of the Citadel. 9 towers are shown, along with the few other named structures.
> It is drawn as if that is all there is room for, but we know there have to be enough towers in the citadel to make the mind conceive if "thousands of towers" and a "glittering flock" on the hill that wows it's visitors by it's immensity.. 9 towers.  Sorry.

I don't know about the maps, but back on the old GEnie network's Wolfe
discusstion area, Mantiss attested that the vocabulary was run past
Wolfe personally, whom corrected him on some and waved the rest on. The
corrections were on spelling and pronunciation rather than meaning, to
make sure he was researching the correct word and not a typo. IIRC,
Wolfe confirmed the non-silence of the G in "Gnab", but it was left to
the GEnie posters to clue in Mantiss that it was "Bang" writ backwards.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >