(urth) the prime calcula/his citadel and other quotes

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Thu Jan 20 13:12:30 PST 2011

Marc Aramini wrote:
--- On Thu, 1/20/11, Marc Aramini <marcaramini at yahoo.com> wrote:

> "I must be fifteen years older than you are. More,
> perhaps - ... and yet I feel that- perhaps it's only because
> you're so much taller ... that you're really my older
> sister."
>

>and its funky quotes like that that beg for a more literal explanation than
just, hey, she's taller and Mint feels sisterly towards her!  These are the
kind of asides that indicate either genetic relationships through out of
sequence cloning (ie - the younger sister is cloned and grown sooner than
the older one) or through possession (the younger woman is possessed by the
older sister goddess).  But this is the kind of quote that needs
interpretational work to make sense of, and is the kind that is much easier
to ignore in general, because its actually HARD to make sense of.

-----------------------

It's not hard to make sense of -- you answered it yourself. Chenille was
possessed by Kypris when Mint said that, and the Kypris in Chen went on to
explain it to Silk. Kypris had tried to possess Mint at the same theophany
(at Orpine's funeral) when she possessed Chen, only Mint had closed her eyes
so the possession was not complete. The goddess went on to say: "I'm
Chenille, but I feel like there's somebody else in here with me now, a way
of thinking about things and doing things that wasn't here till yesterday.
She doesn't. She has a part of Kypris, like you might have a dream." (LAKE,
chap. 5, 118)

Mint had absorbed only a small part of the goddess, whereas Chen was
actively possessed at that time. The bit of Kypris in Mint was drawn to the
greater portion of Kypris in Chen, thus the older woman looked upon the
younger woman as her "older sister". It is figurative, not literal.

-Roy