(urth) (no subject)

Thomas Bitterman tom at bitterman.net
Wed Jan 19 12:11:28 PST 2011

2011/1/19 António Pedro Marques <entonio at gmail.com>

> Son of Witz wrote (19-01-2011 17:52):
>
>  That is a fascinating take. I've never heard it expressed that way.
>> Admitedly I'm no student of WWII. I had forgotten about the genocidal
>> suicide pact. What a motivation that would be to their soldiers to stop
>> at nothing! And the idea that this near genocide is then presented as a
>> sobering reality.  Ouch and wow!
>>

> And James is right that even after Nagasaki the japanese government
> couldn't agree to surrender.

It is entirely possible that the atomic bombs were not the cause of Japanese
surrender.  Some Japanese principals have denied that the bombs were a major
factor, citing instead the Russian invasion.

In any case, invasion wasn't the only other option - a blockade along with
continued bombing was also an option, and would have almost certainly
succeeded (albeit more slowly).

Wikipedia has some nice articles on the actual surrender and the debate
surrounding the dropping of the bomb.