(urth) some mysterious stuff in Long Sun tick/silk/auk/chenille

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:47:26 PST 2011

>Marc Aramini: Also, always confused by Tick...His catachrest speech seems like we should
>do something with his name.   Also, a tick is in the family arachnida, isn't it?  are there
>others?  Spider, certainly,

Tick weave, like tussah and chenille, can be considered a form of silk. I think the name
grouping you are looking for might be found there.

>James Wynn: 2) You don't think the rest of the family of Pas actually looked like
>that do you? Tentacles for arms and snakes for hair?

I suspect Roy doesn't but actually I do. Scylla appears with snake-arms on a dream trip to Urth.
She is also shown with normal human bones and with a saint name. This dualistic rendering of her
suggests to me that some beings on Urth have a dual nature, human and monster.

It may be that some monsters on Urth get their monstrous names because of a monstrous origin. But
there is evidence that some characters start out human but get a monster name as they become
monsters.

Take Baldanders. He seems to have started with a normal human shape. By the time we meet him he
has grown into a small monster and has a monster's name. But he is still basically human in shape.
But, if we could see how he looks after 1000 years of living underwater I suspect he would be so
big and distorted he would no longer be recognizable as human.

Likewise with Scylla. Perhaps a girl with long snake arms was a transitional stage in Cilinia's
transformation to sea monster. The final stage is the gargantuan Great Scylla thing we see pinching
off human-shaped clones at the end of RttW. Took about 1000 years.