(urth) some mysterious stuff in Long Sun tick/silk/auk/chenille

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 14:25:39 PST 2011

Also, always confused by Tick.  Does he have blue eyes?  His catachrest speech seems like we should do something with his name.  It slides rather easily to both Auk and Silk, I think, but I'm just not sure what to make of him.  Also, a tick is in the family arachnida, isn't it?  are there others?  Spider, certainly, but I think certainly his naming can't show relationships like other names in the text can, that it is something else.

and anyway, it is hinted that Chenille looks like Tussah: on p 290 of Epiphany : "inwardly, Silk reproached his own stupidity.  'I've been loking at you-gaping actually, I suppose.  ...how your face had gotten so red, so close to the red-brown color of a wood carving my mother used to have'"

Here he makes one of those inferential leaps that are left out of the narrative, he is taken aback because seeing her face red has brought the image of Tussah's face to the fore in his mind, a second hand indiation that she looks like Tussah.

(But does Auk look like Tussah?)