(urth) lameness

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 10:18:10 PST 2011

>> James Wynn: I've always assumed Fish and Frog referred to the stars Fomalhaut and
>> Rana. But I don't know why those stars are significant in the The Book of the New Sun.
>

> Lee-
> I know of Fomalhaut but was a star named Rana (frog genus) mentioned in BotNS?
> [...] Any chance these two could be combined?

Not really. But Rana works nicely for the story. It's located in a
constellation that was traditionally seen as a stream. And there's a
"Basket" star in that constellation.

As for Fish....well, the fish is hard. I can imagine that Frog is a
translation for an alternative word for "raja":  that is, *Rana*. If so
arguably Frog, in this story, is Ymar. The first Autarch.

But then, for Fish, I would probably be looking for a character with a
TITLE that has a synonym that could be translated "fish". And if we
assume, based on the mistranslation of Typhon, that the original story
the mythographer was working from was in Hindi or Sanskrit, then we
would want that title he read to have been in one of those languages.
Well, there aren't any "matsyas" that I know of.

On the other hand, the avatar of Vishnu, named Matsya is associated with
the combined constellations of Taurus and Cetas. And Cetus
(fish)/Eridanus (the brightest star being Rana) were a combined
constellation for the Chinese called "The Celestial Meadow".  Well, this
gets us nowhere...except...that Matsya of Indian mythology is associated
with a Noahic Flood story.

But it still does not identify anyone for me in the stories that can be
directly associated with "Fish".

u+16b9