(urth) the prime calcula/ his citadel and oreb

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sun Jan 16 10:51:10 PST 2011

Marc Aramini wrote:
> Roy, you are quite right, a few people in viron and elsewhere will have
blue eyes.  But since we know Silk is a preloaded embryo, unless those
people too are grown or woken sleepers, they can't be in the running for
Silk's genetic mother.  So either we accept we don't meet her, or look to
the people we do have.  That fact just serves to emphasize: blue eyes are
rare, even as a recessive, in Viron, so we should pay attention to see if
any that emerge could possibly be genetically related to Silk.

Blue eyes are not _rare_ in Viron, as I have pointed out, and Viron is not
the capitol of the _Whorl_.

> I think if it isn't either Kypris' original (offscreen) or Mamelta, then
we just haven't met her. (fromt the text, which as much as says
Kypris=Mamelta=Hyacinth=Chenille=Mother in dream sequences, the only way we
can make all those true is through Kypris possession or in some manner being
Kypris, and thankfully, Mamelta does have those blue eyes and dark hair that
Kypris does.

You seem to be selective in your associations. I don't think including
Chenille in the mix helps your case. She is not in any way biologically
related to Silk. Yes, she was once possessed by Kypris, but Kypris left her
at a Window in Limna. Kypris also tried to possess Mint, but Silk is not
related to her either, and she does not have blue eyes.

The dream sequences are in Silk's mind, obviously, and are influenced by his
thoughts, conscious or otherwise. My point in mentioning the obvious is that
Silk himself speculated upon a connection between Kypris and Chen's dyed,
cherry-colored hair: "If Kypris had chosen to possess Chenille because of
her fiery hair, why had she chosen Maytera Mint as well, as she had confided
to him beneath the arbor before they went to Limna?" (CALDE, chap. 3, 98)

Silk may have been wrong about his speculation, but *he* made it. At that
point in the story he had seen Kypris twice, on Orchid's glass and at his
manteion Window, so he knew the color of her hair. *But her hair color is
never revealed.* Should I therefore draw the conclusion that Silk's
speculation about why Kypris chose to possess Chen was based upon the color
of hair that Kypris displayed to him on two computer terminals? And that the
color of Kypris' hair was a shade of red?

-Roy