(urth) Sigh

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Wed Jan 12 07:26:17 PST 2011

On 1/12/2011 9:16 AM, António Pedro Marques wrote:
> Jeff Wilson wrote (12-01-2011 15:09):

>>> Does the supposition in "The Library of Babel" that, if you were
>>> immortal and went in any direction long enough, you'd eventually
>>> encounter the same books in the same disorder, which would thereby
>>> become The Order, count?
>>
>> If you can show me where it is incorporated into the context of possibly
>> observable by the fictional characters of the Short Sun books, sure. For
>> example, stuff that happens in the Amber books could excusably happen in
>> the Vlad Taltos books, because Steven Brust incorporated Corwin's
>> hellride encounter with a horseman in grey as the grey-wearing Vlad's
>> encounter with Corwin.
>
> What if the whole universe is a kind of Moebius strip? Has that
> currently been ruled out?

Yes, because stars don't last long enough for their own light to
traverse the universe and arrive before they've gone on to non-life
sustaining dispositions. The Yesodi's could do it though, and I
entertained a "Planet of the Apes" scenario for the Whorl's return to
Urth for a while.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >