(urth) Green is Urth Redux

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 11:17:56 PST 2011

Jeff Wilson wrote:
>  Lune could have trees under
>> domes as easily as the Botanic Gardens can have trees from
>> other worlds and times under domes.

and Marc Aramini replied:
>  Then the domes would have to be green, no?  Or invisible so
> that the trees are visible from Urth?  It being green implies
> some sort of atmosphere to me.

They would have to be very very large domes; Severian speaks of the
"forests" of Lune. I believe we are supposed to take it that the Moon
has been terraformed, which would probably involve increasing its mass
so that it could hold an atmosphere -- which in turn would require it
to be moved farther from the Earth, to mitigate the huge tides that a
more-massive satellite would otherwise produce.

--
Dan'l Danehy-Oakes