(urth) plan of pas/preprogrammed enlightenment

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Jan 8 13:25:26 PST 2011

I don't know if we can say for sure that Pas wants an heir as such.  We are told that Typhon knocked many sprogs out of Echidna in the hopes of getting an unblemished male heir.  But Typhon was mortal in a way that Pas is not.  If Pas is not murdered, or if he can resurrect after being murdered, there is no reason he cannot rule the Whorl so long as Mainframe retains functionality

One reasonably plausible idea, though, is that he wanted a son of his to rule the planet(s) that the Whorl is sent to colonise - this could indeed be Silk's role.  If Silk is the progeny of Pas and Kypris, he would be a suitable candidate for this role.  This could also be a reason for Echidna to be up in arms about the colonisation plans!  She does not want Kypris's bastard to rule a planet.

In BotLS, of course, he never reached this planet, due to his love for the unworthy Hyacinth.  (Perhaps her power over him stems from some resemblance to his mother.)  When he does get there (BotSS) he displays leadership skills and strategies reminiscent of Typhon, repeatedly joining with the underdog in military conflicts and winning.  He doesn't seem to have the true Typhon spirit in him, and he retreats to the Whorl at the end, so I dunno...

His merging with Pas at the end of BotLS seems a bit questionable if indeed he is the son of Pas and Kypris ("Silk, wouldn't you like to be Pas.  We'd be together then..."), but I guess the ways of gods are not for us mortals to question...

- Gerry Quinn