(urth) Truth in fiction

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Jan 7 22:15:24 PST 2011

On 1/7/2011 7:14 PM, Craig Brewer wrote:
>> I would be interested to know if you've read Margaret Atwood's "Death by
>> Landscape"? It seems to be
>> to be a deliberately answerless and  unanswerable mystery story, for or by
>> anyone.
>
> I've taught that story before precisely to teach the value of ambiguity. Works
> well, actually. And anyone remember "The Lady and the Tiger"? I used to teach
> that to high school freshmen. It drove them absolutely nuts, which was awesome.

Not really what I meant. There are presented two firm answers, the
mechanism that determines which one is discussed, and we are left by
Stockton to meditate on the lover's decision; this is a reasonable
ambiguity, all in the mystery of the human heart, and the reader can
envision either outcome.

Atwood methodically considers and demolishes all the plausible
explanations, sifting out most of the ambiguity of the girls' emotional
lives and sowing it into the physical world with a seed broadcaster
where it takes root in the vicissitudes of weather, the lake current,
predators, etc. and lets it ramble for decades unharvested. The reader
is left with the non-solution of the surviving girl dying of old age
among her collection still unable to get traction on her friend's
traceless disappearance.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >