(urth) Threadtiquette

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 05:50:06 PST 2011

David Stockhoff wrote (07-01-2011 13:25):
> Antonio
>
> Obviously my comment referred to the text I retained from the previous
> message, which was below my comment. Did "nobody" really get this, or is
> this just an opinion?

Of course nobody got it. You said something 'might well be' but that you had
only 2 options in TB. As of yet no one knows what part of the text below may
well be; weren't it for the TB comment, you might be referring to the whole
(i.e. had you said 'That may well be, but I know what I'm doing'), but since
the TB comment was there, that interpretation is out. Nor was there any
TB-specific thing there which it might likely refer to.

We're still waiting to know what it was. At least, those who'd like to know
what you were talking about; those who don't care obviously aren't waiting
for anything, and may have gotten it the first time: 'David said blah blah
blah'.

> Everyone's suggestions are potentially helpful and always welcome (I'm
> using Quote Colors right now, why not?), but I already use Thunderbird
> in exactly the way I want to. When I want to interleave, I interleave;
> otherwise, I top-post and will continue to do so. I also severely edit
> posts I am responding to so I can focus on specific ideas.

That's very good.

> But for some strange reason, I don't respond well tobeing lectured (...)

Not a few people here apparently don't respond well to not a few things and
tend to read attacks into pretty much everything. That's certainly a
problem, but not one that anyone but themselves can solve.

I still don't understand why you find my question prima facie offensive - I
see you may have construed it as sarcasting lecturing, but that would have
been a cheap shot. The fact remains that I still don't know what is it that
may well be; I now tend to think it was something like '[All] that [you say
below] may well be', but for the reasons explained that didn't sound like a
possible interpretation.

It's dawned on me that you may have felt singled out by my original comments
on how the list isn't properly used, but, believe it or not, I wasn't
thinking of you.

Ceterum censeo that a discussion over the list's functioning is not off-topic.