(urth) Threadtiquette

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 11:32:22 PST 2011

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote (06-01-2011 19:20):
> 2011/1/6 António Pedro Marques<entonio at gmail.com>:
>
>> I think interleaved replying - which is incompatible with topposting - helps
>> keep focus and avoiding repetition. It also kind of ensures that you read
>> what you're replying to.
>
> Indeed, interleaved replying is _the_ defining motif of email/Usenet
> communications.

If only! I work at a software company and you'd be appalled at the amount of
people for whom interleaved replying is utterly alien.

> It has the unique feature that you can interrupt
> someone without being rude. Some years ago I coined a word for this
> style of semi-collaborative writing: Coinscription.

:D

It would also be nice if people started new threads when they wish to
discuss new subjects. I don't mean keep changing the subject line to reflect
content; I mean that, even if reading something about snails made you think
of lettuce and you wish to start a thorough discussion on lettuce that has
nothing to do with snails, please don't do it on the snail thread. The
snails like lettuce but only if there's snails around.