(urth) Atlantis and Gondwanaland

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue Jan 4 10:41:53 PST 2011

From: "Tony Ellis" <tonyellis69 at btopenworld.com>
Gerry Quinn wrote:
> > Of course these possibilities are for the most part absurd (except for
> > Africa, I guess) - it is pretty clearly established that the Shadow
> > Children
> > are the descendants of human star travellers who arrived a century
> > before
> > the French colonists. They have forgotten the name of their original
> > home
> > (though they remember where it is and point out Sol in the sky). Wolfe
> > whimsically has them remember some of the same names mentioned by the
> > narrator of the first novel. The names also serve as an additional
> > demonstration that they originate from our own culture or a successor,
> > for
> > only such a culture would know the names Atlantis and Gondwanaland.
>
> Actually, it's not as clear cut as that. The Old Wise One says:
>
> "we also hear the mind-singing of our brothers - who do not sing - as
> they pass up and down between the stars... these thoughts come into
> our songs. It is possible that our home was named Atlantis of Mu -
> Gondwanaland, Africa, Poictesme or The Country of Friends."
>
> In other words, the telepathic Shadow Children are dipping into the
> minds of passing starship crews to get these names. And presumably
> looking in the folder labelled 'lost lands' or 'human origins'.
>
> They don't necessarily 'remember' these names because they are the
> descendants of former colonists. They could be what they appear to be:
> telepathic, indigenous aliens with a hive mind.

Fair enough point about the source of the names.  But they do refer to the
passers-by as their brothers.  Aliens *might* say that of humans, but it
would be a bit insulting to Sandwalker ;-)

They also say "It is a long time since we took a Shadowfriend from among the
native population."

I think Shadow Children as degenerate humans is the only reading that does
not have very serious problems.

- Gerry Quinn