(urth) Neighbours in the Whorl

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 9 07:10:21 PST 2011

David Stockhoff wrote:

> The Whorl is a large place. Like Tzadkiel's Ship, it seems almost to
> contain a universe, not a small planet. It has a cargo full of sheep, as
> well as bays of clones and embryos to shepherd them.
>
> It also has a crew or crews in the form of people like the flyers,
> correct? Is it unreasonable to assume that certain tribes aboard the
> LSW, especially those housed near its fore and aft ends and/or closer to
> its skin, are people the Neighbors might prefer to contact, avoiding the
> sheep themselves? Such people are accustomed to knowing things they do
> not share with the sheep, but once the Neighbors made themselves
> generally known in the towns there would be no going back.

One of the aims of the Neighbours was to observe humanoid inhumi, so
you would expect them to be where the inhumi were; there ought to be
at least one of them in Viron to keep watch on Quetzal.

It seems likely to me that the Neigbours in the Whorl are disguised as
humans (or indeed fused with humans, in a way akin to possession). If
they can transport someone else's spirit into a new body, it's not
improbable that they can also transport their own spirits into new
bodies.