(urth) Are the Neighbors REALLY the Neighbors?

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 06:37:08 PST 2011

>> And yet, there is a subtle clue in that the possibly only
>> >fully corporeal 'neighbor' we meet is the barnacle encrusted monstrosity
>> >that tries to climb aboard the boat with Horn early in Blue (?? is that when
>> >it happens?)
>
> Lee Berman-
> Well, middle of the book (pg. 163 in my copy). And that certainly seems to be the
> best conclusion based on Horn's theory of that thing which he tries to dismiss but,
> c'mon, is Wolfe really going to waste 3 paragraphs on a false theory? Why would he?

Actually, it is not at all uncommon for Wolfe to spend paragraphs of a
hand-wringing over theories that are wrong but alert the reader to a
puzzle to be solved. An obvious example (to me) is when Silk spends 2 or
3 pages speculating on why he called Blood "son" on their first meeting.
A good rule of thumb for reading Wolfe is that when a theory is offered,
it is probably wrong in some key way (although in some ways correct as
well).

u+16b9