(urth) On dream travelers

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 13 11:26:56 PST 2011

I think those vanished people went the same place the hiero whatever guys did, whether that be through the brook Madregot or into a higher level of existence, the difference is that I just don't see the need to multiply dimensions, to me, these little inferences are always pretty concrete:
Weer is dead, Latro is Ares/Pleistorus, Silk is Typhon's Heir, Horn is in Babbie after OBW, Silver Silk is Pig, Green is Urth, Marsh is an abo, Number Five's name is Gene Wolfe ... I feel like all these little elisions are actually concrete explanations that really don't work symbolically.  The one I'm still waiting for to satisfy me is Blue is XXXXXX.  So, in that way, I think Wolfe elides material details that explicate vast tracts of text but these are almost never symbolic.

But YES - ITS WAY POSSIBLE AND EVEN LIKELY TO DRAW AN UNINTENDED CONCLUSION or latch onto a red herring, so I admit, I may have reached the wrong material conclusions in some of those cases, but I argue their is a material, non symbolic conclusion to be reached at the heart of every one of his important framework identity elisions.  He is a mystery writer who knows the answers to his mysteries.

But I'm not saying I'm right all the time, because I was SURE Blue was Urth until I saw that the mechanism for astral transport had Silk thinking of Green, that Green was hotter than Urth or Blue, that the city on Green was like Nessus, etc etc etc.  I just didn't see it until it was brought to my attention.