(urth) On dream travelers

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Feb 12 07:28:01 PST 2011

From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

> That this is incomprehensible is a desired outcome by WOlfe. How else can
> he describe
> something incomprehensible to the human mind except via such paradoxes?

I don't think the position of Yesod on generalised spacetime maps is
intended to be inexplicable or paradoxical.

A lot of these arguments you make for inexplicability and paradox, in my
view, Lee, trace back to your view of religion.  Fundamentally, you think
religious belief is stupid.  Faced with the fact of a clearly intelligent
author displaying religious belief, you find your beliefs contradictory.
Unwilling to modify them, you decide that an intelligent believer must be
engaged in some kind of self-hypnosis, choosing to believe contradictory
things at once.  You therefore look for paradoxes and contradictions in
Wolfe's books, and find many that are not there.

> I think it
> must be the same with dream travelers. They are corporeal but somehow also
> incorporeal
> and James and Roy are each focusing on one side of the coin (Roy to the
> exclusion that
> there is another side to the coin, if I understand correctly).

I think this is more a case of Wolfe being unable rather than unwilling to
give a detailed physical model of dream travel.

> We are shown the reverse of dream travel. That is, Horn encounters
> Neighbors who are
> dream travelling. He is able to shake one's hand, notice stiff bristly arm
> hair....
> yet somehow he is unable to count their limbs or even heads.

I'm not sure he quite says that.  Note that there is no evidence that people
on Urth cannot count the limbs or heads of Silk and his dream-travelling
companions.

I think there's also a bit of a question mark over whether what the
Neighbours do is the same thing as what Silkhorn can do with the aid of an
inhuma.  It is related in some way, certainly. When I re-read BotSS I will
try to look closely at these points.

- Gerry Quinn