(urth) First exodus theory revised

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sun Feb 13 06:44:36 PST 2011

From: "Andrew Mason" <andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com>
> Now, there is a question why Typhon's desire for an heir is referred
> to repeatedly. My guess is this: at the end, Silk does in fact become
> his heir, though in a way he could not have anticipated, since I don't
> think he was planning to be killed on the Whorl. Silk may be Typhon's
> son, though I can see some problems with it. If so, I don't think it's
> because he is a destined heir, but because Typhon thought that having
> sons (with suitably selected mothers, and the possibility of genetic
> modification) was a good way of producing people of special ability.
> In that case Silk becoming Typhon's heir does, after all, fulfil his
> desire, though in an unexpected way.

I don't think it goes on about Typhon wanting an heir more than you would
expect of something that is significant in setting up the backstory - i.e. a
big family of gods with no anointed heir.  Also, one expects Monarchs to be
concerned with heirs, so not bringing it up would in fact be pretty odd.

- Gerry Quinn