(urth) Inhumi in the Whorl

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Feb 10 17:11:02 PST 2011

It does seem more like a real clue than some of the correspondences
discussed here. But allusions aren't just for mixing up and tying
together all the world's mythologies.

Consider that Faerie might be a mythology you and I share, as opposed to
that the Greeks or Norse shared and which we observe from a distance. If
so, then instead of "Here's a minor character named X who is the lover
of Y, and Y is killed by fire; X is a Greek name of a god who loved
someone killed by fire so Y must be like that person, who is Z, etc." we
might expect something simpler like "Look for me east of the sun and
west of the moon," i.e., nowhere you will ever find me.

Fairies always live right next door, but where most people can't see
them. They make themselves visible to those they want to have discourse
with, especially near their haunts or "sacred" places. In this they are
like the gods in Soldier of the Mist, but that doesn't mean they are
directly related. They just work by the same logic.

My working hypothesis, therefore, has always been that the Neighbors
weren't really leaving in the sense we would know. They're just going
"next door." (Kind of like the Elves leaving from the Grey Havens, from
another mythology you and I share.) Naturally, I don't have any further
evidence for this.

On 2/10/2011 9:02 AM, James Wynn wrote:

> I get what you mean about allusions, heaven knows. But I think this is
> different. We know the Neighbors left for some actual place, and the
> Neighbor says the _some_ of humanity call it "Neighbor Whorl". But the
> humanity he is talking about is not the humanity on the Short Sun
> whorls. Assuming "Neighbor Whorl" means "Faeri", the Neighbor has to
> be talking about people of Western France to Ireland 1000-2000 years ago.
>
> It doesn't feel like an allusion. An allusion in my mind is Quetzal as
> a demon-Dionysus on the Whorl ship. This statement by the Neighbor
> seems to be a statement of fact.
>
> u+16b9

---
Virus Database (VPS): 110210-0, 02/10/2011
Tested on: 2/10/2011 8:11:02 PM