(urth) Inhumi in the Whorl

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 9 10:49:58 PST 2011

From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>

>>> Well, we do know that inhumi-powered dream-travel can get the Neighbors
>>> between planets or to the Whorl, right?
>>
>> No... we've never seen that.  In all cases of dream-travel we've seen,
>> only souls have been transported.  It's not at all clear that the
>> Neighbours could transfer natural-state inhumi in this fashion. Maybe
>> they could, but I find it easier to believe they used spaceships.
>
> Hmmm... crazy idea, but perhaps this is a good reason to reconsider one's
> reading regarding WHETHER the Neighbors transported natural-state inhumi
> to the Whorl. Perhaps this is a reason to presume they did NOT infect
> humanity with inhumi by transporting natural state inhumi to the Whorl and
> then returning them to Green. That is a complex operation that I would
> prefer to be hinted at in the text

It's not just hinted at in the text - we're pretty much told that that was
done.  [Except we don't know they brought the inhumi back to Green
afterwards.  Maybe they just killed them.]

> --especially since dream-travel, Time-travel, and bodily possession are
> methods offered in the text.

There's no indication that any of these can be used to transport large
physical objects, so I assume they probably had other means of doing that.
Maybe they transported the ring that was given to Horn though - I'm not sure
about that.

>> Still, what are we arguing about?  We know they got there somehow - it's
>> doesn't really matter much what technology they used.
>
> Well, it makes a great deal of difference if they used dream-travel (the
> only method available to them as, so far as I see).

But how could they have infected the Whorl with inhumi uising dream travel?
(Nor do time travel or bodily possession appear useful in this regard.)

I don't see how they could have got to Green from Blue using dream travel
either.  It seems to me they must have had spaceships of some kind.

They could have got their astral bodies to Green by travelling with inhumi
who had come from there.  But they'd have had no reason to build a city
there, because their own physical bodies would have been sleeping back on
Earth.

So just like Silkhorn, they use dream travel when appropriate, but at other
times they use spaceships.  At the end of RTTW, Silk is going in search of a
spaceship to travel to the Whorl, even though he has previously engaged in
interplanetary and even iterstellar dream travel.

- Gerry Quinn