(urth) Inhumi in the Whorl

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Feb 9 10:13:42 PST 2011

From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>

>>> Because (unless someone can identity a Neighbor-ship) the only method of
>>> travel native to this system is via inhumi.
>>> I mean, if this were a story set in Polynesia in 1550 and some chief
>>> mentioned colonizing a great continent to the East, would we just ASSUME
>>> they must have hidden caravels?
>>
>> If we believed him, we'd assume they had ships capable of getting there
>> and back.  If it was clear that the canoes we know of couldn't do it,
>> we'd guess that they had bigger ones.
>
> Or, like a good engineer, we would assume that they accomplished the task
> with the methods at hand.
> Well, we do know that inhumi-powered dream-travel can get the Neighbors
> between planets or to the Whorl, right?

No... we've never seen that.  In all cases of dream-travel we've seen, only
souls have been transported.  It's not at all clear that the Neighbours
could transfer natural-state inhumi in this fashion.

Maybe they could, but I find it easier to believe they used spaceships.

Still, what are we arguing about?  We know they got there somehow - it's
doesn't really matter much what technology they used.

- Gerry Quinn