(urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardianarticle

Jack Smith jack.smith.1946 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 17:47:35 PST 2011

"BTW, is there a consensus on the exact relation of the planets Blue and
Green? Do they orbit one another as a single system, or do they orbit the
sun on opposite sides, as do Earth and Gor?"

They can't orbit each other or orbit on opposite sides of the sun because
Blue and Green  are farther apart and then get closer at conjunction.
 Conjunction occurs every 6 years (OBW, Ch 7), and Blue's year seems to be
about the same as a year on the Whorl.

I'm not sure how Blue and Green move to produce this conjunction.  If they
are about the same distance from the sun but in different orbital planes,
they could at times be closer or more distant but conjunction would occur
twice a year.  Perhaps Blue's orbit is circular and Green's is more
eliptical, resulting in the 6 year interval, but I haven't been able to
figure how this would work.

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 7:06 PM, David Stockhoff <dstockhoff at verizon.net>wrote:

> On 2/8/2011 3:48 PM, Lee Berman wrote:
>

>>  Why aren't there any Vanished People in the Whorl?
>>>

>> Perhaps there are. Maybe in electronic form? I think it would please
>> James if creatures with windy names were associated with Typhon/Pas.
>>
>> My interpretation of Juganu's words is that the conflict/symbiosis
>> between Neighbors and Inhumi has been going on for a long time and
>> has been carried to various other worlds  giving rise to mythological
>> stories on Urth and even Earth. Apollonian and Dionysian (light and dark)
>> contrasts go back to the orgins of the universes.
>>
>>  Roy C. Lackey- The inhumi were introduced into the LSW by the Neighbors.
>>> Windcloud was one of them:
>>> "I was one of those who boarded your whorl when it neared our sun. In the
>>> _Whorl_, I made the acquaintance of many of your race, and I have known
>>> others since, on both the whorls we once called ours."
>>>

>> Sure, that could be the answer. Better than boring through the hull,
>> anyway.
>> Still, there are some problems. First, how long ago was this Neighbor
>> visit to
>> the Whorl? I agree with Stu there is a question of how long was the
>> infiltration and establishment by Quetzal. It seems pretty long. How long
>> has
>> the Whorl been in orbit?
>>
>> Second, if the Neighbors were on the Whorl in recent times, why isn't that
>> discussed in Long Sun? The presence of Quetzal suggests certainly they
>> made
>> an appearance in Viron. At least loquacious Lemur or somebody should have
>> made
>> mention of the appearance of a creature with an indeterminate number of
>> legs, heads,
>> bodies, whatever. What form did the Neighbors (and Inhumi) take during
>> this
>> infection? Who were the "many" acquaintances and why did we not hear from
>> them?
>>
> The Whorl is a large place. Like Tzadkiel's Ship, it seems almost to
> contain a universe, not a small planet. It has a cargo full of sheep, as
> well as bays of clones and embryos to shepherd them.
>
> It also has a crew or crews in the form of people like the flyers, correct?
> Is it unreasonable to assume that certain tribes aboard the LSW, especially
> those housed near its fore and aft ends and/or closer to its skin, are
> people the Neighbors might prefer to contact, avoiding the sheep themselves?
> Such people are accustomed to knowing things they do not share with the
> sheep, but once the Neighbors made themselves generally known in the towns
> there would be no going back.
>
> The timing of the LSW's arrival seems to encompass important events: (1)
> detection by the Neighbors and their boarding/insertion of Quetzal (2) the
> beginning of the Whorl's breakdown leading to its evacuation. I don't think
> several decades is a long time for a large spaceship/asteroid to orbit a sun
> [...]

Best wishes,
Jack