(urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardianarticle

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 11:08:09 PST 2011

>>> So...how DID Quetzal get aboard the Whorl????

On 2/8/2011 12:19 PM, Stuart Hamm wrote:
> forgive me...I thought the dilemma was that if Quetzal got on board
> the whorl when only when it was in orbit, 40 years would not be enough
> time for hm top became so ingrained in the society and rise to his
> position of power...

I don't see this as a problem at all. The many ways humanity is not an
equal to the inhumi in intelligence. Within a few hours, Krait has
"tamed" the resurrected HORN to the extent that he passes Krait off to
everyone as his son. The inhumi on Green have largely subdued all of
humanity as their slaves. Quetzal only needed to tame the right
human...someone who had the ability to place him as prolocutor.
Hmm...who would have had that power?

On 2/8/2011 12:08 PM, Marc Aramini wrote:
> This passage is important but it is contradictory, at the very end of RTTW:
> p 384-395
> ""I was was thinking about the whorl you described ... about the whorl we visited ... We of the People ...." {says Juganu}
> "the bird said "Not man.  People? Never! No Whorl," and I knew it was Scylla. "No there.  Good!  Bad things!"
> Juganu sat up.  "We were there!  They brought us!  We're everywhere!"
> Here, Scylla in Oreb says that there were no inhumi on old Urth, and Juganu says they were there, some "they" brought them.

Well, Scylla's authority on this is dubious. Her own Prolocutor was an
inhume.
But when Juganu says "We were there." That is a statement that is
surprisingly open to interpretation as well. Juganu is an inhumi and he
was on Urth. But you could hauled him into a room and stripped him bare,
and never found the inhume part of him. The Rajan states, in fact, that
while in dream-travel, Jahlee is human. If the Neighbors brought the
inhumi to Urth as Juganu says, then it is most likely they brought them
there in the same way the Rajan brought inhumi to Urth.

In fact, "infecting" humanity with inhumi could well mean adding such
humanish inhumi to Urth's population.
When you don't jump to conclusions about what a text means (I'm not
saying /you/ have, Marc), all sorts of troubling scenarios present
themselves.

But the question is, did Juganu  _meet_ any inhumi on Urth? He seemed
very sure about it.

> The inhumi could have been in their liana like state, morbidly dead state, unable to breed in the insufficient warmth of Urth, but still lingering latently, and loaded on the whorl with other seeds or shrubbery. In Calde of the Long Sun it tels how Quetzal's "parent tree" got planted in the whorl.
>

> epiphany p 19 ""in order that she would climb his tree, Patera.  The man likewise.  Their story's not over becuase they haven't climbed down."

IMO this quote is an important bit of evidence that the Neighbors and
inhumi were involved in the launching of the Whorl.
However....

> epiphany page 23 "the tamarind he had caused to be planted there twenty years perviously ... their parent tree, nourshed by his own efforts, was of more than sifficient size now, and a fount of joy to him: a sheltering presence, a memorial of home, the highraod to freedom ... even in this downpour the tree was safer, though he could fly."

The tamarind tree was planted only 20 years previously. But Quetzal has
been around for 40 years at least.

u+16b9