(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: story with Gaiman

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Sun Feb 20 05:27:41 PST 2011

"Presente" as in present tense is the most obvious example. Of course
there's also "agora", but "now" is not really a synonym of "present" in
English either. It does derive from "the moment that presents itself",
of course.

Fernando

On 2/19/2011 11:35 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
> On 2/19/2011 12:11 PM, Fernando Gouvea wrote:
>> The same pun works in Portuguese, and probably in many other languages
>> derived from Latin.
>
> Could you give me a Portuguese example? En Espan~ol, "ahora" means
> now, and "presente" means here. This is also the case in literal
> English; "the present" is short for "the present moment", "the present
> time", "the present day", "the present situation", and other
> intangibles that present themselves the way a person would present a
> gift to another person.

Fernando Q. Gouvea                http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College
5836 Mayflower Hill               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901              http://www.maa.org/maareviews

Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall down an open manhole cover and die.
   -- Mel Brooks