(urth) This Week in Google Alerts: story with Gaiman

Fernando Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Sat Feb 19 10:11:53 PST 2011

The same pun works in Portuguese, and probably in many other languages
derived from Latin.

Fernando

On 2/19/2011 11:27 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> ---Thea's story, to me, is proof that the language she speaks of is
> English---although for all I know the same pun exists in other
> Germanic/Latinate languages, and the only reason the actual word
> "present" is used is that the book is published in English (the Star
> Trek rule, in which all languages are presented as English). If that's
> true, then the answer is not so clear and yet a little less important.

Fernando Q. Gouvea                http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Carter Professor of Mathematics
Colby College
5836 Mayflower Hill               Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901              http://www.maa.org/maareviews

HELP! MY TYPEWRITER IS BROKEN!
   -- E. E. CUMMINGS