(urth) Wolfe and Materialism

Lane Haygood lhaygood at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 08:17:38 PST 2011

The modern usage of materialist as ontological naturalist/physicalist is an
unfortunate hangover of a terminology shift.  Two hundred years ago people
that believed only in physical things would be called materialists because
we did not have any idea about atomic science.  Now we call them
physicalists because "matter" seems so inadequate, however they mean the
same thing (unless one talks to Jaegwon Kim, who is really a dualist but too
scared to admit it).

I wouldn't even call Milton's position materialism, as it sounds much more
like Spinoza's version of modal monism, or even something like Leibniz'
monadology.

We could, of course, be approaching this from the wrong side, starting with
matter, when we should be starting with spirit.  A pure and eternal
unchanging essence (eidolon, spirit, universal soul) is a common
top-of-the-ontological-pyramid feature of a lot of the mythic/philosophical
systems Wolfe pirated for BOTNS, as well as a defining feature of the
ontologies of the early church fathers.

That pure Spirit substance is then filtered or refracted or corrupted as it
leaves the Ain Soph Dei or whatever and gets down the lowly earth-world of
imperfect, temporary and flawed beings such as us, where it is now
instantiated not as eternal and unchanging spirit but now base matter.

The sense of redemption or of reconciliation of matter with spirit is then a
heroic process that runs counter to the natural inclinations of things.

LH