(urth) First Exodus theory revised

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Feb 10 17:25:55 PST 2011

From: "António Pedro Marques" <entonio at gmail.com>
> Gerry Quinn wrote:
>>
>>     *From:* Ashley Crill <mailto:ash_crill at hotmail.com>
>>
>>     Were any embryos engineered to have a superior military intellect
>>     that were destined to conquer, Typhon-style?
>>
>> I have said in the past that I think Silkhorn's military accomplishments
>> in Gaon and Blanco were similar to those of Typhon as described by
>> Rigoglio. Like Typhon, he sided with the underdog in conflicts, and won.
>> But I don't think this is necessarily anything to do with genetics. Silk
>> has merged with Pas in Mainframe, and Horn downloads the merged entity
>> into himself (i.e. Silk's old body). So Typhon - as Pas - is present in
>> the resulting, somewhat confused, personage.
>
> I think people grossly overestimate Typhon's powers and urthly technology.
> I don't find a single example, in all the books, of a power to engineer
> minds. There's lots of technology around, from a photosynthesizing man to
> sentient robots, but even the latter seem to have personalities not
> designed by anyone. I see Typhon being able to produce beings of terrific
> physical and intellectual abilities, but not to decide their ways of
> thinking.

There may not be a technology to engineer minds and personalities as such...
but there is certainly a technology to engineer certain mental abilities.
Mucor is proof of this.  Her brain does not even resemble a normal human
brain.

As for Silk, we are told he is a special snowflake, but it's not exactly
clear where his powers lie. There seems to be general agreement that it is
something to do with leadership, which makes sense in terms of Tussah
wanting such an embryo.  Of course, leadership was a characteristic of
Typhon too, which makes it harder to answer questions about whether Silk is
genetically related to Typhon.  Really though, it's more the absence of
something that might show a distinction between Silk and Typhon, rather than
any sort of positive evidence either way.

- Gerry Quinn