(urth) First Exodus theory revised

Ashley Crill ash_crill at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 10 14:40:23 PST 2011

> The Outsider's endorsement of the Plan of Pas need not make it wholly benevolent, of course.  Like humanity on Urth, the inhabitants of the Whorl do not need peace and justice so much as they need a new sun.
>
> But I don't think Pas intended ill for his children.  Nor yet for any biological child of his (if Silk is that, a theory I do not find necessary).

You guys make some great points about Pas and the benevolence of his plan. Like any good parent, he is willing to use 'tough love' to benefit his children and drive them out of the Whorl.
I still believe, however, that Pas didn't intend for the settlers on Blue and Green to live in anarchy without a monarch and without justice. I've been reading through Blue, and there are some striking passages written by the Rajan about the situation in Gaon where he talks about the need for justice in society so that love can flourish. He is afraid that if he leaves Gaon they will suffer from anarchy and immorality until a strong man arises and becomes the new Rajan.
If Pas is truly concerned for his children then he would have planned for a benevolent monarch to rule them. This idea contains echoes of the discussion between Severian and Malrubius where they discuss the forms of government. Monarchy is both the lowest form of government (when the ruler is selfish) and the highest form of government (when the ruler is selfless).
My question then, is this: Who did Pas intend to be the Calde on Green, and who was intended to be the Calde on Blue? Did Pas want to continue with himself as the monarch, or did he designate heirs to rule those Whorls?
Where does Silk fit into this picture? Where do Auk and Chenille fit?
Were any embryos engineered to have a superior military intellect that were destined to conquer, Typhon-style?
As a side note: when Horn first views Seawrack's gold, he speculates that it may have originally come from the Whorl via a lander.