(urth) Inhumi in the Whorl

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 11:46:33 PST 2011

>> If I understand James correctly, when Inhumi dream travel to Urth they become human. Not
>> just some ethereal dream-substance but fully, fleshly human, able to have eat, have sex
>> produce gastric juices, seminal fluid, ova, etc.So, what do inhumi and Neighbors become when they dream travel between other worlds
>> including Blue, Green and the Whorl?
> Well, the reason, as I understand it, that inhumi become human in
> dream-travel is because they have human souls -- souls stolen from
> humans. (Insert meditation on "the blood is the life" here.) So an
> inhumX who has a human soul will become human in dream-travel no
> matter where they wind up. An interesting question is, before they
> began stealing human
> blood/souls, what kind of souls, if any, did these inhumi have?

Yes, what do Neighbors and sentient inhumi look like during soul travel?
Honestly, I think the Neighbors that the resurrected HORN encountered
were in astral form. There's a spectral feel to that meeting. But, since
Wolfe has toyed with every possible metamorphosis of the human soul in
these 7 volumes, I'm surprised Wolfe didn't toy with what would happen
if a wild inhumi fed on a dream-traveler.

u+16b9