(urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardianarticle

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Tue Feb 8 10:08:45 PST 2011

From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>
> This quote only says the Neighbors were infected humanity with inhumi. It
> doesn't say they brought them on the Whorl. That's one way they could have
> done it--if beings who can dream-travel would have their own spaceships
> and if the Whorl would allow an alien spacecraft to dock. This quote could
> be also interpreted as "They supported the Plan of Pas to bring humanity
> to Green." This quote is a gold coin in the bucket--it tells us about the
> Neighbor's motives--it doesn't explain how and when they accomplished it.
> Anyone got any more evidence?

It *does* say the Neighbours went to the Whorl.  "There" in "There the
Vanished People went?" is the Whorl.

I've added a bit more to the quoted text for more context.  It seems to make
it pretty clear that they did indeed visit the Whorl and left inhumi among
the people there.

How else could Quetzal have gotten there?

You have suggested that there was a landing on Green shortly after the Whorl
arrived in the system.  Such a landing is certainly possible, although there
is no textual evidence for it.  But even if there were such a landing, it
seems implausible that they would bring Quetzal back - and even more
implausible that everyone would completely forget about the event while
Quetzal somehow became an augur and rose through the ranks of the local
church!

By the way, Silk can dream travel and at thee end of _Return_ he is looking
for a spaceship. As for the Vanished People, maybe they landed on the
surface and bored their way in.

- Gerry Quinn