(urth) grumble at wolfe comment made attached to guardianarticle

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 14:31:10 PST 2011

>> PS: As an aside, I recall someone who frequently writes for "genre"
>> while maintaining the respect of "literary" markets.  I recently read
>> Neil Gaiman's (ed.) "Stories" anthology and have decided that if I
>> never read another Joyce Carol Oats story, that will probably be just
>> fine.
>
> Perhaps, but _Mysteries of Winterthurn_ and _A Bloodsmoor Romance_ are
> great SF novels, the latter is pretty well steampunk. My only
> remaining specific memory of _ABR_: officials think an electric bed
> sounds too comfortable a method of execution, and refuse to buy it.

I'll accept your opinion of her novels. I really only know her from her
short stories..genre and literary. I recognize her technical ability,
but I consistently have walked away from her stories feeling unbuzzed.
It's like listening to a John Cage symphony.  "Fossil-Figures" was just
the final straw.

u+16b9