(urth) Merger

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:45:34 PST 2011

>>> "Increate" means "not created". "Pancreator" means "creator of all". It
>>> seems logically inconsistent that these could be separate persons.
>> Well, I am only a novice in these areas, but my understanding among those who believe in
>> separate beings is that God/Increate is a being of pure spirit while the Demiurge created
>> all the material things we see. Maybe God created the raw material but the demiurge shaped
>> it? I dunno.
> I need to go back and see where Demiurge is used. IIRC it is something Thecla says. Anyone else?
>
> Demiurgos is a false or half creator.
> So,  in a Gnostic worldview, YHVH is a entity distinctly separate from the Godhead.  That is, there is a true, uncreated prime mover, but that isn't the god of Abraham.  The Demiurgos is deluded, thinking itself the most-high, but it is the living abortion of Sophia.  This is a problematic heresy from the official view, of course, because, then "who the F is YHVH and how did he dupe us?". But gnostics then have the Logos issuing from the true Godhead as a saviour for those trapped in the demiurge's creation.
>
> So, when a character uses Demiurge, they most likey do NOT mean to equate it with Pancreator or Increate, because, theologically, if one uses the term, it implies understanding the difference in ontological levels.

It is easy to think of "demiurge" as meaning "half-creator" because we
often use "demi" to mean "something less than" or as synonymous with
"semi" or "hemi". But actually it means only "skilled worker" or
"craftsman".  It comes from the Socratic Dialogues. Of course, with the
new understanding that Plato was a Pythagorean, perhaps its roots even
drawn from there. Anyway, the God of Genesis or the Logos of the Gospel
of John could be properly called a "demiurge".

Among CERTAIN Christian Gnostics, the demiurge is something of a bad guy
and something separate from the Increate/Pancreator. He is a created
being who made the world. Manicheanism is seen as the name brand of such
philosophies. However, in many (most?) Gnostic philosophies--even
Christian ones--this is not the case. In fact, in a lot them, the world
was made by multiple demiurges called archons.

So the question is, was Wolfe riffing off one of the particular
"anti-Semitic" Gnosticisms or another more generic brand?

u+16b9