(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Dave Lebling dlebling at hyraxes.com
Fri Dec 23 16:12:19 PST 2011

No one suggests that any scientific "proof" is the case in any absolute
sense. "Proof" means that if you tweak the universe in a certain way, it
responds in a particular predictable way. Scientists do this not because
it "feels good," but because if you have building blocks of
predictability, you can create further and deeper edifices. Eventually
you come to the part you don't yet understand, and can attempt to move
on. The idea that scientists do this because it "feels right"
trivializes a lot of intense philosophical discussion about what makes
science work. To use an ugly phrase, it is "methodological naturalism."
That is, predictable effects flow from observed causes. If you do X,
then Y happens.

Thus the "possible reason" is that if you understand some aspect of the
universe, you can accurately predict its behavior. In the mundane world,
this leads to degrees, Nobel prizes, the approbation of their peers,
etc. In the intellectual world, this means that you know the microcode
of the universe. The more we know of it, the less we need superstition
and false enlightenment.

Dave L.