(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Fri Dec 23 15:45:11 PST 2011

On Fri, 23 Dec 2011, Lee Berman wrote:

> But who is willing to recognize that science operates on the same sort
> of appeal
[...as religion]?

> Why are "hypothesis testing" and "replicable results" and "mathematical modelling" so popular among
> scientists? Who decided these criteria constitute "proof"? Scientists did. And they did it for one
> basic reason. Agreement on these things make scientists feel good about what they are doing; about
> themselves and their place in the world. It just feels right to most scientists.  There is no other
> possible reason.  (is there?)
>
> [btw, rigorous application of scientific method involves disproof only. There is no "proof"]

The only problem with Popperian falsificationism is that it doesn't say
anything about where the hypothesis that is being tested comes from - it
deals with experimental design, and with a bare-bones minimum of decision
making after seeing the results.  Sure, in one sense all scientific
knowledge is contingent, but logical and mathematical consistency, and
coherence with all other currently accepted scientific bodies of
observation are all vital.  In the Popperian framework, these properties
are modelled as being a large number of failures to falsify ("my
hypothesis is not falsified by an inconsistency with the laws of
arithmetic" ;)).

Mathematical modelling is "popular" because mathematics summarizes or
abstracts what _is_.  We don't have to have faith that "2+2=4": it
is a simple tautology.  We don't have arguments about this,
and we don't bother designing experiments to falsify it.  Sure, Newtonian
and Einsteinian geometries are different, and we use experiments to decide
which one best describes our universe, but each model is logically and
mathematically internally consistent.

And finally, replication shows you understand something, you can do it again.
Even nonscientists like to be able to do the same thing twice and get the same
result.

Anyway, these are not things I read Gene Wolfe for ;).

Cheers, David Duffy.