(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Jeff Wilson jwilson at clueland.com
Fri Dec 23 13:13:16 PST 2011

On 12/23/2011 8:10 AM, Lee Berman wrote:

> In my (and perhaps Antonio's) view, math and science are human tools created by humans and subject to
> all the error and fallibility of the human brain.

The scientific method and mathematical rigor are human behaviors that
are used to discover and refine knowledge of abstract and objective
concepts, many of which are found in analagous physical processes that
evidently continue independently of human agency. For example, circular
craters are observed on the surfaces of planets and satellites where
humans are simply not equipped to go, establishing the independence of
circular geometry from imperfect humanity.

 > I don't overlook or discount reproducible results. They are a human
thing to want. But ancient
 > religions were based on it also. Do something to anger Zeus and
within a few months you'll get
 > a thunderstorm. You might have to wait a few years after angering a
witch but you'll eventually
 > get your crop failure also.
 >
 > Science currently rules much of the faith and beliefs of humanity
because the reproducible results
 > are faster and more accurate than superstition. But they are not
perfect. Lightning still strikes
 > unpredictably. Disease and earthquakes and famine also. When a more
perfect system of predicting and
 > controlling these events is invented, science will be dropped like
Zeus worship was.

You have departed the land of rational thought freely and of your own
will. Good luck on your journey into magical thinking, and I look
forward to your speedy return.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at clueland.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >