(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 23 06:22:04 PST 2011

On 12/23/2011 9:10 AM, Lee Berman wrote:
>> Jeff Wilson: You're overlooking reproducible results. Preindustrial crop hexings are
>> >not reproducible by witches, while electrons are tamed well enough that we can reproduce
>> >Zeus-strength lightning as necessary and prevent it from striking houses when it occurs naturally.
>
> I don't overlook or discount reproducible results. They are a human thing to want. But ancient
> religions were based on it also. Do something to anger Zeus and within a few months you'll get
> a thunderstorm. You might have to wait a few years after angering a witch but you'll eventually
> get your crop failure also.

Nothing is more reproducible than witchcraft or God. Look at all the
damage homosexuals have done to the tornado/hurricane belt by angering him.

In the real world, I don;t find myself making this point often. But in
fiction, the necessary suspension of disbelief does a lot of work to put
science and "magic" on an equal footing. If the proper formulas are
followed, as in my example regarding hyperdrives, then the appropriate
authority is invoked and the narrative may proceed.