(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Antonin Scriabin kierkegaurdian at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 11:04:56 PST 2011

Sorry to chime in kind of late, but I just wanted to say that, like Gerry,
I am content to leave notions of the soul (and many other things) as mostly
mysterious in Wolfe's books.  Wolfe tends to avoid writing "hard science
fiction" or straight allegory and never (at least, as far as the books I
have read go) offers explicit scientific or spiritual explanation for some
things.  The explanation of deep space travel that Father Inire gives is as
much mystical as scientific, for example; whatever the "truth" is, it is so
well hidden behind the motives and understanding of Inire, Severian, and
the other speakers / narrators that it probably can't be uncovered.
Personally, I get more out of the story *not* knowing or pursuing the ins
and outs of the scientific or theological explanations that might hold for
a given phenomenon.  There is something distinctly otherworldly about the *New
Sun *books that makes trying to force the events therein into the confines
of 20th century physics or Catholic theology inconsequential to my
enjoyment of them.