(urth) S&S vs. SF in BotNS

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 21 06:33:43 PST 2011

>David Stockhoff: Ultan's remarks are key, although I think they do not refer only to the
>analeptic alzabo but to larger concepts of interest to Severian and Wolfe. At any rate,
>the principle of what you might call "spiritual cannibalism" already exists---that is,
>the pre-scientific concept that when you eat the seat of your dead enemy's soul, you eat
>his soul. Any further details will be particular to the genre, setting, or audience---in
>our case, "plausible" science.

An excellent point. Along with all the other persistent faerie/magic elements from human
mythology, cannibalism belongs in this book along with vampires, giants, shapeshifting,
etc. I'll even assert that the only kind of cannibalism among humans is "spiritual". I
don't know any examples of cultural prescription of cannibalism for the sake of nutrition.

(FWIW, centuries before "Mad Cow Disease" appeared in our news, Papua-New Guineans, hoping to
augment their own courage, were giving each other a prionic dementia disease called "kuru" from
eating the brains of fallen warriors.)