(urth) Agia's Weapons

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Dec 20 04:26:10 PST 2011

From: Daniel Petersen

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 3:23 AM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

> On this note, I want to weigh in on something I've wanted to comment
> on for a while.  Surely Wolfe  sees all other heroes and legends and divinities
> and rites and so on finding their fulfilment in Christ as understood by the
> Catholic Church.  He certainly allusively invites us to feel resonances with
> #Hercules or Dionysus or whoever... but surely these summed up, centred,
> and superseded in Christ?  (For Wolfe.  And his fiction.)
>
> (Leslie Newbiggin, a 20th century British theologian and missionary in India
> for thirty years, would be a prominent exponent of this kind of missiology and
> soteriology - i.e. rather than Christ simply destroying and replacing all other
> 'pagan rivals', he fulfills what is best in them.  This idea seems intimately
> woven right through Wolfe's works to me.)

I think that is true as far as pagan rivals is concerned.  It is how I understand the references to Dionysus and various other gods in the Solar Cycle.

However, I suspect Wolfe does not exclude the possibility of a continuing Revelation – i.e. that in some future, Christ might also be superseded, or that the Trinity might expand beyond three persons, or that an alien equivalent of Christ be incarnated.  That is to say, I don’t think he would consider the doctrines of Rome to be set in stone for eternity.

- Gerry Quinn