(urth) Gummed-Up Works or Got Lives?

Daniel Petersen danielottojackpetersen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:48:07 PST 2011

Thanks for your generous interpretation of my comments, Lee.  I actually am
well known among family and friends as being the aggro one at times - I
have to fight hard with myself to be civilised in debate, as I'm naturally
a passionate, opinionated, snarky person (half the time).  Some nasty scrap
and scrape in a forum like this is indeed a very good and healthy and
enjoyable thing.  I have zero problem with some feisty intellectual
punch-ups happening here.  It's when the insults start to sound pretty dark
and vitriolic that I worry it's no longer 'useful' and certainly not fun.
 I may well have misinterpreted, for example, Stockhoff calling Quinn and
'illiterate know-nothing' and this is good debating-buddy language they use
with each other all the time (I have friends I argue with like that -
sometimes it crosses the line and we swear off each other for a while, then
make up and go at it again).

Anyway, at least as much as that, I have problems with a more intellectual
obstinacy and obnoxiousness I sometimes see evident here.  It's
unfortunate, Lee, that I often have to just skim over or skip the (usually
lengthy) comments made by you and Gerry.  But that's what I do rather than
calling for you guys to be debarred.

Two final notes:  I seriously doubt letting off steam on the internet
prevents it happening in real life.  I imagine there are complex studies
into these kinds of notions that show the whole thing is dubiously
unpredictable.  But that's merely an aside.

The second thing is that I feel fairly uncomfortable with the idea of
people having 'goals' for this list.  What in the world?  (Like my sanitary
version of wtf?)  The list has a simple and stated purpose:  to discuss
Wolfe's works.  Let's leave it at that and be busy with it - not trying to
manipulate others and the 'community' toward further ends we've concocted.
 That's just weird.  Not in the good 'weird fiction' way.  It's... creepy.

-DOJP